The original building in Kisiizi was a flax factory built in 1944 by Italian prisoners of war under the Public Works Department. The site was taken over as a hospital in 1958 and has housed patients ever since. This building is now used as our male and female surgical wards and tends to be very full and well used.
It is not surprising that after all this time in continuous use the infrastructure shows significant wear and tear and we therefore have embarked on a renovation programme. The first half of the building housing the female patients has been done and is a dramatic contrast to the previous state as seen still in the male surgical ward as demonstrated in the photos.
The main advantage of the renovation, apart from much more pleasant environment for patients and staff, is that by installing a proper terrazo tiled floor we can clean the floor properly every day whilst the old concrete floors pit and crack and are impossible to thoroughly clean. This is important in reducing cross-infection risks.
Thanks so much to the churches and individuals who helped us with the first ward renovation. We are looking for further support to allow us to continue the programme into the second half of the building and the extension. Thank you.